The great building of the Venetian barracks housed the Ionian Academy from 1840 onwards. This building was originally designed to house barracks, in combination with the residence of the Military Commander during the Venetian Rule. This was the first university in modern Greece, founded by Lord Frederick North, Earl of Guilford. It was destroyed by German bombing in 1943. It has lately been restored to function as the administration building of the Ionian University.