This most representative neoclassical structure in Corfu Town was constructed by the British, then in possession of the Ionian islands, and formally presented to the Lord Governor in 1824. The tufa stone for its building was transported from Malta along with a large number of Maltese workers. It was designed by the British architect Whitmore as a residence for the British Lord High Commissioner of the Ionian Isles, his large entourage, and the seat of the local Senate.The central part over the cornice is adorned with reliefs by the Corfiot sculptor Prosalendis, while the walls and ceilings of the main halls have rich relief and painted decoration The palace was attached to the Order of the Saints Michael and George, founded in England in 1818 to bestow decorations and medals to the inhabitants of the Ionian islands and Malta, and also to British subjects living there who had furthered British interests. It was home to splendid balls, and held other social events that shone within the social life of the upper crust of the era. The building later served as a summer palace during the stay of the royal family of Greece in Corfu. The palace nowadays houses the Museum of Asian Art and the Corfu Municipal Gallery.