The Loggia (today’s San Giacomo) was initially built as a lodge for the assemblies of local nobles.Constructed between 1663 and 1693 with Sinies stone, the only town building with dressed masonry. It was transformed into the lyrical theatre of San Giacomo in 1720. Many operas of the European repertory were produced here, many great artists performed; and many premieres of the works of great Greek composers were given here, such as Nikolaos Mantzaros (who composed the National Anthem of the Hellenic Republic) and Spyros Samaras (who composed the Olympic Anthem). In later years, when San Giacomo proved too small for the seating demands of much larger audiences, a new dedicated opera house was built almost at the border between the Old Town and new quarters. San Giacomo was then once more transformed into the new town hall; but by this time it had finished its job towards the cultivation of musical appreciation among Corfiots.It remained a theatre until 1903, when it became the Town Hall after the addition of an extra storey.